Due to work obligations, we’re going to miss ESPN’s live coverage of most of the signing day happenings. Feel free to comment here about goingson at the end of the 2008 recruiting frenzy.
General observations, of course:
- We hate prediction, we really do, since it’s glorified unscientific guessing, but for the hell of it, our predictions: Bucks take Pryor, Jenkins and lose Harris to Miami of Florida. Small price to pay for taking in both of those guys, if you ask us. If we’re wrong, well, we’re wrong. There’s nothing scientific about prediction in popular media. You were warned.
- We really have no clue about Orhian Johnson (08 FL ATH, likely going to make the jump from HS QB to defensive back), though in our obviously biased interpretation, I think we have the best program among his list of offers (Indiana, South Florida, UConn, Kansas, FIU). Whether or not program prestige can overcome distance or whatever else is beyond us at the moment.
- Dawawn Whitner is a non-offer waiting to sign on signing day. There is certainly — as far as we know — certainly enough scholarships for him, but we don’t have a clue if he comes to the Buckeyes like brother Donte a couple years ago. Honestly, we just kind of wrote off Whitner when teammate Shaq Rowell committed. Even if the Bucks get Pryor, Jenkins, Harris and Johnson (chances: nil, one of those will not join and we’re certain it’ll be Harris), the Bucks will still have enough room for Whitner and get below the Big Ten cap of 25 scholarships per class. If he doesn’t sign with the Bucks, we think he follows Cordale Scott to the Illini (FWIW), and that might be enough for Tressel to step in and 86 that possibility.
- Again, remember our disclaimers: A) we suck and are not informative and B) prediction in popular media is glorified unscientific guessing. Take with a grain of salt.
Of course, we focus on the kids who could commit tomorrow but lose sight of the ones that committed earlier to free up their time, their anxieties, and the recruiting efforts of Ohio State. Specifically, players — nay: heroes — like Michael Brewster, JB Shugarts and Mike Adams1 not only committed early, but worked their telegraphs helped bring in talent with them, thereby forever molding this class in their image. Moreover, we also commend recruits like Garrett “Gladiator” Goebel, Andrew Sweat and Nathan Williams for committing early so they could focus on other stuff (Goebel, for instance, is a nationally recognized wrestler; Sweat is a baseballer who will probably be taken early in the MLB draft [Sweat was also heavily recruiting others as well]) and just know that they would be Buckeyes before too long. Moreover, we also commend Travis Howard for committing on the Penn State weekend, invariably opening up the possibility that HS teammate, and legitimate gridiron monster, Etienne Sabino would follow him to Columbus.
Simply put: you guys are the balls.
- yes, we have a lineman fetish. deal with it [↩]